Returning Officers play a key role in electing Members of the Legislative Assembly. Returning Officers help deliver democracy.
Are you recently retired? Do you miss the connection and structure of a workday, but on a casual basis? Perhaps the kids are off to school and you want to give back to your community by working outside the home? Or maybe you just enjoy being part of a dynamic work environment without the full-time commitment?
Returning officers are our field leaders. They manage the election process in their electoral district. We need our field leadership team in place now as we prepare for the next territorial general election, which will be held on or before November 3, 2025.
We are still looking to hire Returning Officers in the following Electoral Districts:
|Mountainview||Porter Creek South|
|Riverdale South||Whitehorse Centre|
These are casual positions with minimal time commitment (approximately 4-8 hours per quarter) for ongoing training events and specific projects to complete before an election is called. These activities ramp up once the general election is called. During the election period, on-site daily availability is required.
We are looking for people who are non-partisan with:
- Strong leadership and communication skills;
- An ability to manage people and processes; and
- A comfort with technology.
Returning Officers must be qualified electors in their Electoral District; they must:
- Be at least 18 years of age;
- Be a Canadian Citizen;
- Have lived in the Yukon at least one year; and
- Be a resident in the Electoral District applying for.
What makes for a great Returning Officer?
The ideal candidate is:
- Able to pay attention to the small details that make projects successful;
- Establishes and maintains strong, effective working relationships with staff and stakeholders; and
- A great communicator and active listener.
Although previous election experience is an asset, it is not required.
What does a Returning Officer do?
Returning Officers oversee territorial elections in their electoral district. Some of the key tasks include:
- Hiring and training workers;
- Organizing the returning office;
- Finding polling locations;
- Dealing with issues; and
- Overseeing the distribution and counting of ballots.
What are Returning Officers paid?
- Pay during the election period is $6,000 with additional pay for milestone activities
- The yearly honorarium is $720
- Readiness tasks are done in 4-8 hour blocks, two to four times a year, at your own time at $30.70 per hour
Be a part of a team that supports democratic values and removes barriers for voters. Apply now!
How do I learn more?
If you are interested in field leadership opportunities with Elections Yukon, please fill out the Application For Returning Officers below.