The following school communities voted on whether their school will be operated by the First Nation School Board. Polling day was held on February 28, 2023:
- Del Van Gorder in Faro
- Eliza Van Bibber in Pelly Crossing
- Ghùch Tlâ Community School in Carcross
- Kluane Lake School in Destruction Bay
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you agree that this school should be operated by the First Nation School Board?
Eligibility is the same as for school council elections.
To be eligible to vote in a school referendum, electors must be a Canadian citizen and as of polling day must be:
- At least 18 years of age; and
Referendums are being held in the school attendance areas where the Minister has been requested by school council resolution or by school community petition to hold a vote on whether the school should be a part of the First Nation School Board.
Schools requiring a referendum vote have either submitted to the Minister:
- A resolution from school council to hold a vote on whether the school should be part of the First Nation School Board; or
- A petition from the community, signed by at least 20% of eligible electors in the attendance area.
Schools not having a referendum vote did not submit to the Minister of Education a resolution by school council or a petition by the community.
The vote needed is 50% + 1 from the school community. If it is not met, the school will remain under a school council.
Call Elections Yukon at (867) 667-8683