School Council Elections
The Minister of Education has approved the 2022 School Council general election dates.
School council elections are conducted in accordance with the Education Act.
Am I Eligible?
To be eligible to run or vote in school council elections, you must be:
- a Canadian citizen, and
- at least 18 years of age, and
- qualified to vote in the attendance area based on:
- being a resident* in the attendance area for three months or more (residency); and/or
- being a parent** of a student who attends the school (attendance), and
- not already have voted in the attendance area in the school council election.
An elector may vote in the election for each school council for which they are eligible on the basis of residence or attendance.
*for schools established on the basis of religion, must also be registered members
**“Parent” refers to the biological parents, the adoptive parents by custom or otherwise, the persons legally entitled to custody, or the persons who usually have the care and control of the child.
- Christ the King Elementary School
- Del Van Gorder School
- École Selkirk Elementary School
- École Whitehorse Elementary School
- Elijah Smith Elementary School
- Eliza Van Bibber School
- F.H. Collins Secondary School
- Ghùch Tlâ Community School
- Golden Horn Elementary School
- Hidden Valley Elementary School
- Holy Family Elementary School
- J.V. Clark School
- Jack Hulland Elementary School
- Khàtìnas.àxh Community School
- Kluane Lake School
- Porter Creek Secondary School
- Robert Service School
- Tantalus Community School
- Vanier Catholic Secondary School
School Board Elections
School board elections are conducted in accordance with the Education Act.
A general election is held every three years to elect five trustees to each of the Yukon's school boards.
The below 10 schools are under the authority of a school board:
Commission Scolaire Francophone du Yukon
- École Émilie-Tremblay
- Centre scolaire secondaire communautaire Paul-Émile-Mercier (CSSC Mercier)
Yukon First Nations School Board
- Chief Zzeh Gittlit
- Grey Mountain Primary
- Johnson Elementary School
- Nelnah Bessie John
- Ross River School
- St. Elias Community School
- Takhini Elementary
- Watson Lake Secondary School
For more information about school councils and boards, contact:
Catholic Episcopal Corporation of Whitehorse
St. Kateri Pastoral Centre
5119 - 5th Avenue
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 3A2
Association of Yukon School Councils, Boards and Committees
Whitehorse, YT Y1A 5M2
for the guide "Serving on a School Council", click here