The following schools will vote on whether they will be operated by the First Nation School Board:
- Del Van Gorder, Faro
- Eliza Van Bibber, Pelly Crossing
- Ghùch Tlâ Community School, Carcross
- Kluane Lake School, Destruction Bay
The Minister of Education has announced a second referendum period in February 2023 for schools considering joining the First Nation School Board. Elections Yukon will administer the referendum vote on behalf of the Minister.
For a school to be included in the referendum vote, a resolution from the school council or a petition from the school community requesting their school hold a referendum on joining the First Nation School Board is to be submitted to the Department of Education between January 5 and 30, 2023. On approval of the Minister, Elections Yukon will conduct a referendum vote for those school attendance areas.
Note that school council resolutions and community petitions are separate and independent submissions – either or both may be submitted as of January 5, 2023. Any school council or community members considering petitioning should contact Lori Choquette, the Department of Education’s School Council Liaison at email@example.com or 867-667-8226 for additional information.
- Prior to January 5, 2023: Resolution and petition processes ongoing in school communities. Information on petition processes is available from the Department of Education, including the number of signatures required for petitions.
- Thursday, January 5, 2023 to Monday, January 30, 2023 – Submission Period: The Department of Education will accept resolutions from school councils and petitions from community members requesting their school hold a referendum on joining the First Nation School Board.
- Wednesday, January 18, 2023 – Virtual Town Hall (6:30 p.m.): https://us06web.zoom.us/j/89493551078?pwd=VFZvMytUK0lNU3dta3FPUCtQWWpTUT09
- Thursday, February 16 to Monday, February 27, 2023 – Referendum Voting Period: Eligible electors will have multiple options to cast their vote; mail-in ballots, early voting in person (Saturday, February 25), Polling Day (Monday, February 27) and walk-in service at Elections Yukon.
- Monday, February 27, 2023 - Polling Day: Final day for eligible electors to cast their vote. Polling will close at 8:00 PM with unofficial results being posted as they are reported.
- Tuesday, February 28, 2023 – Official Addition: Official results released. Schools where 50% plus 1 of the votes cast support joining the First Nation School Board will for the start of the 2023-24 school year.
Eligibility is the same as for school council elections: to be eligible to sign a petition or vote in a school referendum, electors must be:
- A Canadian citizen; and
- At least 18 years of age; and
- a resident in the school attendance area for three or more months, and/or
- a parent¹ of a student who attends the school.
¹ Parent refers to the biological parents, the adoptive parents by custom or otherwise, the persons legally entitled to custody, or the persons who usually have the care and control of the child.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you agree that this school should be operated by the First Nation School Board?
Referendums are being held in the school attendance areas where the Minister has been requested by school council or by petition to hold a vote on whether the school should be a part of the First Nation School Board.
Schools requiring a referendum vote have either submitted to the Minister:
- A resolution from school council to hold a vote on whether the school should be part of the First Nation School Board; or
- A petition from the community, signed by at least 20% of eligible electors in the attendance area.
Schools not having a referendum vote did not submit to the Minister of Education a resolution by school council or a petition by the community.
Call Elections Yukon at (867) 667-8683