In accordance with the Elections Act, the Chief Electoral Officer is responsible for:
- Establishing policies relating to the conduct of elections
- Use of Communications Devices within Polling Places (see attachment below)
- Media Access to Polling Places (see attachment below)
- Appointing Returning Officers who serve at pleasure
- Appointing Assistant Returning Officers for the election period
- Prescribing forms to be used at electoral events
- Ordering that an enumeration shall take place
- Appointing Returning Officers for the election period.
These responsibilities are formalized in the Orders of the Chief Electoral Officer.