In accordance with the Elections Act, the Chief Electoral Officer is responsible for:
- Establishing policies relating to the conduct of elections
- Appointing Returning Officers who serve at pleasure
- Revoking the appointments of Returning Officers
- Appointing Assistant Returning Officers for the election period
- Prescribing forms to be used at electoral events
- Ordering that an enumeration shall take place
In accordance with the Education Act, the Chief Electoral Officer is responsible for:
- Appointing Returning Officers for the election period.
These responsibilities are formalized in the Orders of the Chief Electoral Officer. Detailed information may be accessed using the links above.